Advantages of Swirl Flowmeter | disadvantages of Swirl Flowmeter
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Swirl Flowmeter. It mentions Swirl Flowmeter advantages or benefits and Swirl Flowmeter disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Swirl Flowmeter?
• It is used to measure flow of wide variety of liquids, gases and steam.
• Swirl flowmeters are similar to vortex flowmeters but its construction is slightly different.
• Like vortex, Swirl flowmeter is used for direct mass flow measurement of dry saturated steam.
• Swirl flowmeter is based on pressure variations resulting due to interruption of flow by obstruction. This is similar to vortex principle.
• In swirl flowmeter, flow is passed through fixed spiral vanes which causes spiral flow pattern. This happens across the entire pipe.
• Frequency of fluid rotation depends on flow rate.
• A sensor is used to detect the speed of the rotation and pass it to electronic circuits of the flowmeter.
• The Swirl flowmeter can be used in harsh process and environmental conditions requiring accuracy on the order of about +/- 0.2%. Vortex flowmeters are used for accuracy requirements of about +/- 0.75% in liquids, gases and steam.
Benefits or advantages of Swirl Flowmeter
Following are the benefits or advantages of Swirl Flowmeter:
➨It has no moving parts.
➨It has very short inlet and outlet sections.
➨It is suitable for gases, liquids and steam.
➨It offers excellent repeatability in measurement.
➨It is not affected due to changes in temperature, pressure and density.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Swirl Flowmeter
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Swirl Flowmeter:
➨Minimum reynolds number is needed.
Advantages and Disadvantages of other equipments, meters or devices
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens