Software in the loop testing vs Hardware in the loop testing-Difference between Software in the loop testing and Hardware in the loop testing
This page compares Software in the loop testing vs Hardware in the loop testing and mentions difference between Software in the loop testing and Hardware in the loop testing.
There are different types of testing for embedded system validation before final porting on
the device. It includes following.
• Model testing in simulation
• Software in the loop testing
• Processor in the loop testing
• Hardware in the loop testing
Software in the loop testing
• The software written or generated is evaluated in this testing type.
• It is co-simulated on host machine.
• Input vectors are derived from requirement document or from other executable model.
• The software in the loop (i.e. SIL) testing reuse test data and model infrastructure used in 'model testing in simulation'.
• Examples: Handwritten codes or generated codes using some tools.
• It is very useful for graphical implementation (for example labview) of existing codes (written in MATLAB/C/C++).
Hardware in the loop testing
• The other methods are used for non real time verification of design under implementation.
For real time verification hardware in the loop testing is useful.
• Hardware in loop allows testing real time behaviour.
• It is carried out in the lab environment using prototype hardware platform before final system integration and final field testing.
• This type execute model under testing on PC based target computer using card drivers, real time kernel OS, host target interface, data logging and parameter tuning. The running code can also be verified or monitored in real time.
➨Software in the loop (SIL) testing validates that generated code has same behaviour as tested in model simulation.
➨Hardware in the loop (HIL) testing validates software algorithm with all real time behaviour as desired.
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens