Noise Spectral Density(N0),Carrier to Noise Spectral Density Ratio(C/N0)
This page describes Noise Spectral Density(N0) vs Carrier to Noise Spectral Density Ratio(C/N0). It mentions basic difference between N0 (Noise Spectral Density) and C/N0(Carrier to Noise Spectral Density Ratio).
Noise Spectral Density( N0 )
• It is defined as amount of (white) noise energy per bandwidth unit (Hz).
➤ N0 = N/B
• It can also be expressed as follows.
➤ N0 = K*T
K = Boltzmann's constant in J/K
T = Receiver system noise temperature in K
• Units of No are Joules (J) or Watts/Hz or Watts*s.
Carrier to Noise Spectral Density Ratio( C/N0 )
• It is the ratio of power level to noise power spectral density (i.e. normalized noise
level relative to 1 Hz) in a system.
• C/N0 is similar to C/N but it does not factor the actual noise bandwidth.
• It simplifies analysis of systems where variation of (utilized) BW may apply.
• Both C/N ratio and C/N0 are determined using BER plots or BER meters.
Links to useful Measurements
Following are the links to other useful measurements available on Test and Measurement World website.
Difference between EVM vs subcarriers and EVM vs symbols
Current measurement vs Voltage measurement
Inductance measurement vs Capacitance measurement
Difference between Power and Energy measurements
EMC measurement vs EMI measurement
Electric and Magnetic Field Measurements
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens