Mechanical Tachometer vs Electrical Tachometer | difference between Mechanical Tachometer and Electrical Tachometer
This page compares Mechanical Tachometer vs Electrical Tachometer and mentions difference between Mechanical Tachometer and Electrical Tachometer.
What is Tachometer?
• It is an instrument which indicates speed of crankshaft of reciprocating engine.
• In other words, it is an instrument which measures rotation speed of shaft or disk as in motor or machine.
• This instrument can be either direct indicating or indirect indicating.
• The dial of tachometer is calibrated to provide measurement in rpm (revolutions per minute).
• It is used in reciprocating engines to monitor engine power. It is used in gas turbine engines to monitor speed of compressor section of the engine.
• The figure-1 depicts flyweight type of mechanical tachometer.
• As shown it uses coil spring, drive shaft, rocking shaft, flyweight etc.
• It works on the principle that centrifugal force on rotating mass depends on speed of rotation and it can be used to compress/stretch mechanical spring as shown.
• The mechanical tachometer measures speed of the shaft in RPM (revolutions per minute).
• The figure-2 depicts electrical tachometer with synchronous motors and drag cup indicator.
• As shown it uses alternator, synchronous motor, permanent magnet etc.
• It utilizes principle of relation motion between H (magnetic field) and shaft of coupled device.
• In electrical tachometer, relation motion induces emf in the coil (which is placed between magnetic fields of the permanent magnet ). This emf is proporional to speed of the shaft.
• Electrical tachometer are of two types viz. AC tachometer and DC tachometer. Refer DC vs AC tachometer generator>> for more information.
Following points summarize difference between mechanical tachometer and electrical tachometer.
➤Electrical tachometer provides greater accuracy compare to mechanical tachometer.
➤Electrical tachometer requires less maintenance than mechanical tachometer.
➤Mechanical tachometer uses mechanical parts where as Electrical tachometer uses electrical parts.
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens