Advantages of Venturi Flume | disadvantages of Venturi Flume
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Venturi Flume. It mentions Venturi Flume advantages or benefits and Venturi Flume disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Venturi Flume?
• It is critical flow open flume with constricted flow. This causes drop in hydraulic grade line which creates critical depth.
• Venturi flume is used for very large flow rate measurements, usually in units of millions of cube.
• Venturi Flume measures in meters unlike venturi meter which measures in millimeters.
• Measurement of discharge with venturi flume requires two measurements viz. one at upstream and the other at throat (i.e. at narrowest cross-section).
• It offers following advantages over weirs due to critical depth is
created by vertical constriction.
• The free flow discharge can be expressed as follows (Reference: Wikipedia).
Q = C * Hn
Q = flow rate
C = free-flow coefficient of flume
H = head at primary point of measurement
n = depends on flume size (It is 1.55 for 1-inch flume).
Benefits or advantages of Venturi Flume
Following are the benefits or advantages of Venturi Flume:
➨It does not have any potential energy differences compare to weir.
➨Hydraulic head loss is smaller compare to weirs.
➨It has lower pressure drop.
➨It is suitable for unclean waste water also unlike weir.
➨It is very easy to maintain.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Venturi Flume
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Venturi Flume:
➨It has nonlinear flow characteristics.
➨When velocity decreases, deposit gets build up and headwater gets obstructed.
➨There is a risk of plugging due to large floating items through it.
➨Measurement is not possible when backflow exists in tail water upto the venturi flume.
➨Quality and reliability of the measurement depend on sensors used in venturi flume.
➨Installation cost is high.
➨It affects local fauna.
Advantages and Disadvantages of other equipments, meters or devices
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens