Advantages of Hydraulic Actuator | disadvantages of Hydraulic Actuator
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Hydraulic Actuator. It mentions Hydraulic Actuator advantages or benefits and Hydraulic Actuator disadvantages or drawbacks.
• Transducer is a device which converts one form of energy into the other form
of energy. Both sensor and actuator are energy conversion devices. Hence they can be
called as transducers.
• A sensor is a device which converts physical parameter to electrical output.
• An actuator is a device which converts electrical input signal to mechanical or physical output signal (e.g. force or displacement).
Following are the main types of actuators.
• Hydraulic actuator
• Pneumatic actuator
• Electric actuator
What is Hydraulic Actuator?
• A cylinder or fluid based motor which converts hydraulic power into
equivalent mechanical power.
• It is operated by source of energy which is hydraulic fluid pressure.
• It converts input energy into mechanical motion when it receives control signal.
• Motion can be linear or rotary.
The figure-1 depicts hydraulic actuator.
Benefits or advantages of Hydraulic Actuator
Following are the benefits or advantages of Hydraulic Actuator:
➨They are very rugged in construction.
➨They are suitable for high force applications.
➨They are designed to hold the force.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Hydraulic Actuator
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Hydraulic Actuator:
➨Fluids will leak and hence will deliver less efficiency.
➨Moreover leakage leads to cleanliness issues and potential damage to surrounding components and areas.
➨Hydraulic actuators need many additional parts which include fluid reservoir, motors, pumps, valves, heat exchangers, noise reduction equipments etc.
➨The overall weight of the system is very high.
Advantages and Disadvantages of other equipments, meters or devices
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens