Accelerometer vs Gyroscope | difference between Accelerometer and Gyroscope
This page compares Accelerometer vs Gyroscope and mentions difference between Accelerometer and Gyroscope.
• It senses linear movement, and not rotations. It can be used for tilt detection.
• It is a device which is designed to measure non-gravitational acceleration. It is sensitive to acceleration forces due to movement of device where it is installed.
• The sensor measures some of the electrical parameters (C, I or V) which depends on acceleration it senses. Any one of these electrical parameters are converted into equivalent acceleration value as per design.
• It measures all types of rotation but not the movement.
• It is a device which uses Earth's gravity in order to determine orientation.
• Gyroscope sensor provides us three values viz. pitch, roll and azimuth. It is shown in the figure-2 above in a smartphone. It measures rate of rotation around the axis. All the three values are zero in non-rotating condition of the smartphone.
• The sensor measures change in capacitance (C) which is proportional to angular velocity being sensed. Hence it measures angular velocity.
Following points summarize difference between accelerometer and gyroscope.
➤Accelerometer measures linear motion where as Gyroscope measures rotational motion.
➤Accelerometer has lower SNR where as Gyroscope has higher SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio).
➤Integration is easy in Gyroscope where as it is difficult in case of Accelerometer.
➤Accelerometer is used to measure vibration where as Gyroscope is used to measure and maintain orientation (based on angular momentum principle).
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens