Advantages of Spring Control | disadvantages of Spring Control
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Spring Control. It mentions Spring Control advantages or benefits and Spring Control disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Spring Control?
• Two springs of phosphor bronze are attached with the moving system.
• The springs are wound in opposite direction to compensate for change of temperature.
• One end of each spring is fixed at some point in the instrument while the other end is attached to the spindle.
• They provide necessary controlling torque and provide electrical connection to operate the coil.
• Under the action of delecting torque, the pointer moves and one of the springs unwounds while the other gets twisted.
• The twist provides controlling torque. In spring controlled system, controlling torque (Tc) is directly proportional to angle of twist (θ).
• The pointer will come to rest when deflecting torque is equal to controlling torque.
• Spring materials should be non-magnetic. It should have low temperature coefficients.
It should have low specific resistance.
Benefits or advantages of Spring Control
Following are the benefits or advantages of Spring Control:
➨It is suitable for portable instruments, because it can work in any position of the instrument.
➨There is no increase in weight of the moving system.
➨These instrument types have uniform scale.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Spring Control
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Spring Control:
➨Controlling torque can not be adjusted unless the springs are changed.
➨Change in temperature changes lengths of spring and hence the controlling torque.
➨Accidental stresses in spring may damage them.
➨The stiffness of the spring is function of temperature. Hence readings given by instruments are temperature dependent.
➨The usage of the spring develops inelastic yield which affects the zero position of the moving system.
Advantages and Disadvantages of other equipments, meters or devices
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments and terms:
comparison between SPI and I2C
difference between PXI and PCI
Microscope vs Telescope
Amplitude Modulation vs Angle Modulation
difference between modem and router
Air Fuel Ratio Sensor vs O2 Sensor
Radiometer vs Spectrometer vs Spectroradiometer
Clamp meter vs digital multimeter
Colorimeter vs Spectrophotometer
difference between Prism and Grating
difference between Venturi meter and Orifice meter
difference between Lux and Lumens