Biomedical Equipments | Biomedical Instruments
This page covers Biomedical equipments or Biomedical Instruments used for biomedical test and measurement. The common Biomedical equipments include pressure meter,glucose meter,oximeter,nebulizer,ultrasound machine,X-ray machine,ECG machine etc. The functions of each of these biomedical instruments or equipments are also mentioned along with popular vendors.
In todays polluted atmosphere, it has become essential to keep the body fit as per requirements. In order to understand our body, regular check-ups and tests have become mandatory for human beings. This day to day health care activities depend heavily on biomedical equipments or medical equipments. To address this demand, Health facilities or hospitals are equipped with medical equipments from small scissors to complex and advanced ECG machines.
Like Blood tests such as suger & pressure, there are tests for each of the human body parts (brain, heart, bone, eye, ear, muscle etc.). The different types of diagnostics such as radiology diagnostics, cardiology diagnostics, neurology diagnostics, eye and other diagnostics, endoscopy & colonoscopy are performed during and before treatment of the patients.
The biomedical instruments are categorized into following types.
• Diagnostic instruments:
• Laboratory instruments:
• Imaging instruments:
• General surgery instruments:
• ENT instruments
• Ophthalmic instruments
• Cardiovascular instruments
• Dental instruments
• Orthopedic instruments
• Rectal instruments
• Gynecology instruments
• Physiotherapy instruments
• Hospital Equipments
Let us understand functions and various Biomedical equipments used for test and measurement
of various human body related parameters such as blood sugar, blood pressure,
body temperature, Electrocardiogram, Angiography etc.
• Pressure Meter: It is used to measure blood pressure.
➤Normal blood pressure for a human being is more than 120/80 mmHg and less than 140/90 mmHg.
• Glucose meter: It is used to measure blood sugar level. Normal blood sugar levels for most of the healthy human beings are as follows. ➤When fasting, it is between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L (i.e. 72 to 99 mg/dL).
➤After 2 hrs. of eating, it should be up to 7.8 mmol/L (i.e. 140 mg/dL)
• Pulse Oximeter: It provides oxygen saturation levels along with heart rate.
• Nubulizer: It is most commonly used for the asthma treatment. It is basically drug delivery device. It can be used to provide medicine to the lungs in the form of mist.
• Ultrasound machine: This test uses high frequency sound waves. It helps in capturing live images of inside of the body. It allows doctors to see through body organs, vessels, tissues before providing medication or before operation.
• ECG machine: It is used to capture electrical activity of the heart over period of time with the help of sensors or electrodes placed on skin.
• X-Ray machine: There are various types of x-ray machines developed for different functions. It is most commonly used to verify any breaks or fractures in the bones. They can easily penetrate skin or tissue.
Popular Biomedical Equipments or Biomedical instruments
Following are the list of popular Biomedical equipments used for various diagnostics as per requirements during treatment of patients.
Digital Pressure Meter: This page of equipments section of T & M World covers digital Pressure Meter.
It mentions features of DPM2Plus Pressure Meter from Fluke Corporation.
Other vendors of Digital Pressure Meter are also mentioned.
Glucose Meter: This page mentions definition of Glucose meter and units of measurements.
It mentions step by step guide of conducting Glucose test using blood sample.
Sensor for Pulse Oximetry and Heart Rate Monitor:
This biomedical instrument known as Pulse Oximeter used heart Rate Sensor IC.
It is used for pulse oximetry and heart rate monitor solution.
Nubulizer Vs MDI Inhaler:
This page compares Nebulizer vs MDI Inhaler and mentions difference between Nebulizer and MDI Inhaler.
It mentions advantages and disadvantages of both Nebulizer and MDI Inhaler.
CT Scan Vs MRI scan Vs Ultrasound Scan:
This page describes CT Scan, MRI scan and Ultrasound Scan.
It mentions difference between CT Scanner machine, MRI scanner machine and Ultrasound Scanner machine used for CT scan, MRI scan and ultrasound scan respectively.
It mentions advantages and disadvantages of each of these biomedical equipments.
ECG Vs EEG Vs EMG tests:
This page compares ECG, EEG and EMG machines and mentions difference between them.
It also mentions ECG test, EEG test and EMG test conducted using ECG, EEG and EMG machines respectively.