Temperature Coefficient of Resistance | Calculator and Formula
This page mentions Temperature Coefficient of Resistance calculator. It mentions formula or equation used in this Temperature Coefficient of Resistance calculator.
• Temperature coefficient of some material refers to change in its physical property with change in temperature.
• For example, if R changes by dR with temperature change by dT,
➤ dR/R = α * dT
Where, α is Temperature coefficient which has dimension equal to 1/degree kelvin or 1/degree celsius
• The generic equation or formula for conductor resistance is shown in equation-1 above.
• Resistance of conductor increases with increase in temperature.
• Resistance of indulator decreases with increase in temperature.
• The material whose resistance increases with
increase in temperature is known as PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) material.
• The material whose resistance decreases with increase in temperature is known as NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) material.
• This type of device whose resistance depends on temperature is known as thermistor or thermal resistor. There are two types of thermistors viz. PTC type and NTC type as described above.
Following table mentions temperature coefficient of resistance values for some of the useful materials.
|Material type||Value of α|
Temperature Coefficient of Resistance calculator
Following calculator calculates Temperature Coefficient of Resistance as per equation-2.
Example of Temperature Coefficient of Resistance calculator:
INPUTS : Rref = 50 Ohm, Tref = 20 oC, R = 91.6 Ohm , T = 232 oC
OUTPUTS: α = 3.92 x 10-3 (oC)-1 or 0.00392 (oC)-1
Temperature Coefficient of Resistance Formula or Equation
Following Temperature Coefficient of Resistance formula is used for calculation in this calculator.
Useful converters and calculators
Links to useful Measurements
Following are the links to other useful measurements available on Test and Measurement World website.
Difference between EVM vs subcarriers and EVM vs symbols
Current measurement vs Voltage measurement
Inductance measurement vs Capacitance measurement
Difference between Power and Energy measurements
EMC measurement vs EMI measurement
Electric and Magnetic Field Measurements
What is difference between or comparison between
Following links mention difference or comparison between various equipments:
comparison between VSG and VSA
DIfference between SNA ans VNA
Oscilloscope Bandwidth versus Rise time
Oscilloscope vs Logic Analyzer
Difference between Oscillscope types
Comparison between spectrum and network analyzer